The Burdekin Theatre revealed its 2018 season last week when copies of the 2018 Event Guide began appearing throughout the Burdekin and beyond. The vibrant Event Guide sets out the details of all currently booked touring shows, as well as featuring a ‘Local Events’ calendar.
The Burdekin Singers and Theatre Company’s Chicago is the first production for 2018, with performances happening February 2 – 11. The local group, who are celebrating their 25th anniversary, are expecting big crowds- their 2017 Addams Family production achieved a near sell out run.
Morning Melodies are back in a big year this year. Acts include James Blundell, Karen Knowles, Nearly Neil and Rachel Beck, as well as the productions Just a Couple of song and Dance Men and Frankly Sinatra. The New Year also sees the welcome change to the cost of Morning Melodies tickets, with prices reduced to only $15 a ticet, plus the annual free Christmas Morning Melodies in December.
The free entertainment will continue when the 1RAR band performs as part of Jazz n Shiraz n Tapas in the Theatre Forecourt. Guests enjoy the smooth sounds in the afternoon, with a selection of tapas and drinks available for purchase.
A string of tribute artists will take centre stage early in the year, with Elvis an American Trilogy, Morning Melodies: Nearly Neil, Leaving Jackson- the Johnny Cash and June Carter Story and Michael Jackson the Legacy Tour all coming to the Burdekin between February and April. Canadian performer Bobby Bruce will reprise his role as Nearly Neil Diamond on Valentine’s Day for a special Sweet Valentines: Dinner and Show in the Theatre Foyer.
The Theatre has announced a handful of 18+ comedy events, with the nutty Puppetry of the Penis happening in February, and Menopause the Musical bringing the heat in March. The Melbourne International Comedy Festival Roadshow will also journey to the Theatre, delivering tasty comic treats. For those seeking something a bit more refined, Melbourne City Ballet’s Carmen and The Ten Sopranos will feature in the second half of the season.
Children aren’t forgotten, with the classic Jackie French book Josephine Wants to Dance brought to life on August 16. The Gruffalo is also returning to Australia after sell out seasons around the world, with local audiences’ able to see the charming tale on November 8.
Home Hill residents will have the opportunity to enjoy Theatre close to home this year, with the Memorial Hall hosting An Evening with Jimeoin and Friends.
Rounding out the line-up is the action-packed Around the World in 80 Days in July, all-girl quartet Lez Zeppelin in August and and Faulty Towers: The Dining Experience in September, plus a plethora of local productions throughout the entire year.
Pick up a copy of the Burdekin Theatre Event Guide 2018 to see the full season. Theatregoers can collect a copy of the Events Guide from the Burdekin Theatre, Burdekin and Home Hill Library, Burdekin Shire Council Chambers, Burdekin and Burdekin Gateway Visitor Information Centres, as well as select local businesses.
- Chicago presented by Burdekin Singers and Theatre Company- 2-4 and 9-11 February, various times
- Morning Melodies: Nearly Neil- 14 February, 10am
- Sweet Valentines with Nearly Neil- 14 February, 6pm
- Puppetry of the Penis- 15 February, 8pm
- Elvis an American Trilogy- 19 February, 8pm
- Leaving Jackson- The Johnny Cash and June Carter Story- 10 March, 7:30pm
- Menopause the Musical- Women on Fire! – 23 March, 8pm
- FREE EVENT: Jazz n Shiraz n Tapas with the 1RAR Band- 24 March, 3pm
- Michael Jackson the Legacy Tour- 15 April, 4pm
- Morning Melodies: Campfire- the Morning Session by James Blundell- 18 April, 10am
- An Evening with Jimeoin and Friends presented by Burdekin Special School P&C- 27 April, 6:30pm
- Melbourne International Comedy Festival- 6 May, 4pm
- Carmen presented by Melbourne City Ballet- 17 June, 2:30pm
- Morning Melodies: Rachael Beck, This Girl- June 20, 10am
- Around the World in 80 Days- 12 Jule, 7pm
- Lez Zeppelin- 4 august, 8pm
- Morning Melodies: Just a Couple of Song and Dance Men-15 August, 10am
- Josephine Wants to Dance- 16 august, 10am
- Faulty Towers: the Dining Experience- 6 September, 7pm
- Morning Melodies: Frankly Sinatra- 3 October, 10am
- The Ten Sopranos- 5 October, 8pm
- The Gruffalo- 8 November, 10am
- FREE EVENT: Morning Melodies: Christmas with Karen Knowles- 5 December, 10am